Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jeff Bridges can shred...


So before last night I had not watched a movie in over 3 weeks. Most of the blame can be placed in the hands of Red Dead Redemption.

Gosh what a good game...

Anyway, I started to get a little antsy to watch a movie. If someone had dropped "Battlefield Earth" on my doorstep a couple days ago, I might have watched it. On top of that, I had no advice to give to customers on new movies at Blockbuster. Which, in turn, has lead me to make statements like "Oh yeah, I hear 'Old Dogs' is a laugh-a-minute riot of a movie" to uninformed customers.

Last night I chose to watch "Crazy Heart", and OMG what a good decision that was. It was just an amazing movie. Now, me saying this isn't anything new or earth-shattering. The movie was nominated for 3 Oscars, and won 2 of them. One for Jeff Bridges, and the other for Best Song.

For anyone that doesn't know...the story revolves around Jeff Bridges character "Bad" Blake. A washed-up country singer who used to be the hot ticket, and now plays at Bowling Alleys. He smokes so much that he lights his cigarette with the end of another cigarette he just smoked. Oh and he is an alcoholic, to boot. Quite a guy! He eventually meets this girl, and BOOM he wants to change his life. Not the most original plot. What makes it work is Jeff Bridges.

With a movie like this a lot hinges on how good the music actually is. Thankfully, the music is great. I'm not even a country fan, and I loved it. Bridges plays and sings all the songs himself, and he sounds great. A lot of people have said that "Crazy Heart" was this years '"The Wrestler." I understand the comparison, but to me it is so much better.

I have had more than one customer come into Blockbuster and tell me "'Crazy Heart' sucked, can we exchange it for another movie?" Don't get confused. These are the same kind of people that eagerly anticipate "The Marine 2" to come out. Which, by the way, doesn't even have John Cena in it. Which means that John Cena had to read the script, and say "Wow, even I can't sell-out to a movie this bad."

I give "Crazy Heart" 4 stars, or 2 thumbs up, or whatever you wanna call it. If you're a fan of Jeff Bridges, you need it see this movie. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment